Tuesday, January 01, 2013

New Year's Eve Nine Years Ago and Now

Season's Greetings and a Happy New Year!

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may, 
    Old time is still a-flying : 
And this same flower that smiles to-day 
    To-morrow will be dying.

Robert Herrick, from the poem TO THE VIRGINS, MAKE MUCH OF TIME

I was trying to find some pictures from 10 years ago, but nine years ago is the first year I had a digital camera; there are some hard copies from New Year's Eve 2002 somewhere, but I have no idea where. (Regrettably I have no pictures of the girl stripping, but I do have some pictures of her in her little black dress and Snegurichka hat, as I recall.) 

Here are some pictures from New Year's Eve 2003 in Vodkaberg:






Fans of VODKABERG might be interested in a role call here; that's me in the blue sweater, Slappy's Wife in the grey sweater (about 5 months pregnant, i think?) A typical Russian Novy God table, full of mayonnaise-drenched salads.

The one with the long black hair is Crazy Angel, and the other one was identified in the book as Anna, from 2003. (I don't know why those last two are marked Dec 25; camera date was wrong, I guess. It was the same New Year's Eve party.)

Tonight? Home with Mom and the stepdad, I think we're going to watch WAR HORSE and then Ryan Seacrest's Hip-Hopping New Year or whatever it's called these days. Rock out baby! Mother is recovering well from a hysterectomy (but not looking forward to the chemotherapy), and anyway it's sleeting out.

We got a few inches of snow the other day, that brought a lot of things to a standstill -- the Russians would be laughing at such a wussy snowfall, I'm sure, but it looked kind of nice for a while. 



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear ETX

I love teaching esl in far away lands. The business is horrid and bottoming out for teachers. You seem burned out. This is a good sign.


Happy New Year

English Teacher X said...

Actually I haven't taught in 6 months, and I'm starting to feel burnt out on writing ebooks ...

Anonymous said...

Dear ETX,

I recently worked through some of your old posts. You seem to really have it out for the older teachers. You go so far as to say that middle aged men should not teach YL's. I am to give a try at YL's in China this February. Looks like a cake walk compared to adults. Besides, children are fun and generally happy. They keep me laughing. No ego. It is also a target rich environment for young divorced MILF's.

Back to older teachers. I got into this business by mistake while living in South America. I was bored. It has turned out to be a good mistake. I have found young teachers "Stuck" in ESL to be rather miserable, excluding gap year types. Unless one truly loves teaching ESL, a young person is wasting his prime earning years in this racket. If a younger chick teacher is hot, then teaching could let her fuck her way into a decent deal if she likes foreign men. I taught with an English freak that went this route with one of her rich students. Good for her.

America is not a good place to grow old for many reasons. At least over seas, one can meet hot younger women and have a good time. A close friend in the home country now has a 35 year old girl friend. My other good friend's wife will not allow her over for meetups, because she is "Sickened" by the age difference, which is around fifteen years. She also said something like, "How dare him." At Thanksgiving she raked me over the coals for living overseas to "Prey on young women." I apologized to her for my sins and took another shot of "Russian Standard."

While studying Spanish at a university in Bucaramanga, I became close friends with a writer in his 60's. He has a very hot daughter who was 18 or 19 at the time. He asked me if I was interested in dating her. I declined, and told him that my range of preference is 28ish to 40ish, with 33ish being the sweet spot. He smiled and lit up another joint, saying "Entiendo, entiendo."

I look forward to take my place at the Chinese buffet this year, especially with the "Leftover women." In the future, I may even sample some of the Slavic buffet as well. ETX, please let us older teachers be to have a little fun as King David had in his last days. "Wherefore his servants said unto him, Let there be sought for my lord the king a young virgin: and let her stand before the king, and let her cherish him, and let her lie in thy bosom, that my lord the king may get heat." 1 Kings 1:2

Feliz año nuevo,


King Teacher

English Teacher X said...

I don't have anything against old teachers; just look in the mirror occasinally and make sure you're not one of those bloated, red-faced guys with some single-mom whore on his arm, complaining constantly to people he doesn't know about how his woman is spending his every penny.

English Teacher X said...

Hell, I mean, I AM an old teacher, by English Teacher standards, I'm 43,and my girlfriend is nearly 15 years younger than me.

But it is a razor's edge we all walk, I suppose, and on one side of that line you're the Most Interesting Man In The World and on the other side you're That Crazy Old Guy Who Chases All The Young Whores.

English Teacher X said...

Oh, drop me an email at englishteacherx(at)yahoo(dot)com, if you'd like, I'd like to interview an older dude for the next edition of the ebook.

SmartDuck - Brazil said...

Just finished Vodkaberg. Felt sad and nostalgic when it ended, the way we are supposed to feel for a good book. Reminded a lot of my crazy young days in the country small town in Brazil we used to ravage in the holidays. You are a very good writer, X. Maybe you could give us more insight about the lives of these girls, their aspirations and dreams. I feel ambivalent about them, on one hand, they are dirty scheming sluts, on the other, it is impossible not for feel sorry for them being right now in that forgotten desolate place. Do you sometimes think about what they are doing right now ?

But let me tell you, you owe us fans more pictures of the people in the book. Where is Almond Eyes, Natasha, Skinny, Slappy, Pterodactyl Girl, Insane Bisexual ? Please write a post with pictures !