Saturday, July 09, 2016

And The Next Destination Is ...

CHINA!

I've been offered a really good job in China. Documents are on their way, so it's a go, unless we go to war with them in the interim, or something.


As readers might remember, I had a job offer in China last year, but ended up not going because of complications with the paperwork, as well as a need to stay in America to help my father get settled at the assisted living place he moved into. 

Readers might also remember that a commenter working in China said that I could probably get a much better job than the one I described.

I was skeptical, but when I mentioned that I had no job offers for September of this year, he offered to show my resume to his boss at the swanky interntional school he works at, which pays a shockingly good salary.

And damned if they didn't interview me and offer me a job almost immediately.

And damned if the contract conditions aren't about the same as my first job in the Gulf -- $4000 + month after taxes, paid accommodation, and 3 months of paid holiday time.

And Most people go to China for the experience, but I'm really kind of going for the dough. (Oh, and the kung-fu, I guess.)

I'll be near the capital city, The City Formerly Known as Peking, although not actually in it.


I am aware that I missed the "Wild East" days of teaching in China and it's probably not as fun and wacky as it was ten years ago. This is surely not the best time to go there -- but then again, it's probably not the best time to go anywhere. It's a bit of a rough patch globally speaking. 


So I need this information from readers, current and former teachers in China: What VPNs work best in China? I use Hotspot Shield now, but I've heard it doesn't work there now. Any advice on that score will be appreciated. 

So, middle-aged formerly depraved ETX working at a swanky international school, teaching rich high school kids? That sounds like a humorous fish-out-of-water comedy!

14 comments:

Steve said...

Test, I want to see if my comment actually went through because this is my first time commenting after about a year of following.

Anonymous said...

I was in china a year ago and Astrill was the best VPN we found. Even it wasn't perfect, esp around Internet Maintenance Day, but it was better than any other VPN anyone tried.

Some Guy in Saudi said...

I use Private Internet Access in Saudi. Only thing is that Netflix doesn't support it. Heard good things about Strong VPN however.

Jug Jugette said...

VPN for China: Astrill is good, very occasionally patchy, quite expensive. The last couple of years there I used - great, personal and responsive service, cheap and reliable. Recommended.

Jug Jugette said...

Got truncated first time:

VPN for China: Astrill is good, very occasionally patchy, quite expensive. The last couple of years there I used breakwall.net - great, personal and responsive service, cheap and reliable. Recommended.

Reader L said...

Congrats X! Looks like a good gig with great pay and lots of time off. Way to go, glad to hear the good news. Looking forward to hearing the updates.

Anonymous said...

That is really a lot of money, nice work! I have a prestigious master's degree and work for an international organization in Europe with a tax free salary. But after rent, I am looking at about $3,300/month, plus 31 days off and a lot of sick days.

This has set me up for my next job, which will pay more than $9,000/month tax free, but that is in a war zone.

brian said...

Congrats X! Hope to hear lots of stories about teaching there, as well as long vacations to Thailand. Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Ivo said...

Ni Hao

Lawrence said...

That's great; Beijing was wonderful and since you are outside the city maybe you can get some air to breathe, that smog is a killer.
Pay are conditions sound tops but you may find the students as motivated as Saudis after a weekend break in Bahrain. Might be different at a 'top international school' though....
Good luck and congrats

englishteacherx said...

It's hard for me to believe that Chinese stduentscould be worse than Saudis. I mean at least they're pretty quiet, aren't they?

Pollution will be a bitch, I'm sure. I was actually looking at respirators at Home Depot last week.

Jug Jugette said...

Get decent quality air filter machines for your bedroom at least, if not for the whole apartment. The best are expensive but worth the money.

Those 3M face masks with built-in filters are the best - plain cloth ones are a waste of time and money.

Both are available on Taobao at reasonable prices - those you'd buy in the States would probably be from China anyway.

Reader L said...

Not an expert on any of this, but my friend taught math at a swanky international school in Bejing and said that the students were extremely motivated, and he loved teaching there for that reason.